Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Why of Teacher Training

In order to apply for the teacher training program at my studio, I filled out a survey on the website, full of the usual questions about why you want to join.

Honestly, I'm guessing if you're willing to pay them your money, and you understand the basic ideas of yoga and you're not a complete asshole, you're in. But I was still nervous, and I spent a lot of time on the questions, thinking over my answers and trying to be as truthful as possible.

I really, really wanted to do it.

For your amusement, here's a few of the answers I gave to the questionnaire. I'm not sure if any of it really mattered, but it matters to me, and this is the motivation behind my push towards deepening my practice and maybe one day becoming a teacher.



What are your specific goals for this program:

In my wildest dreams, I think I would love to be a yoga teacher. Every time I come to class, I fall in love  with yoga more and more, and I think one day it would be amazing to inspire others to love it too. But that's in the future. Right now I see this program as being another step in developing my passion for my practice, learning more, challenging myself and experiencing poses in a way I never have before. I think through the program I really could improve and deepen my practice in a significant and profound way, and I hope to do that with CorePower.

What is your main influence to train:

I train to seek inner balance and feel calmer and happier on a daily basis, as well as to feel fit, healthy and strong. I am always amazed when I come to class regularly and do the same poses day after day, and they always feel different, better or worse, then suddenly stronger one day. I love the challenge, and it makes me happy to finish a class and know that I've done something so loving and good for myself.

Please provide us with your health and fitness background as it pertains to the training:

For most of my life, I have been a very unhealthy and unhappy person. Unfortunately I had bad experiences with exercise at a young age and I always thought physical activity was punishment for being fat. Yoga was the first thing I found that I really enjoyed, and CorePower specifically was the first place I really enjoyed sweating and struggling to becoming stronger. During my time at CorePower I have lost 50 pounds and I am in the best shape of my life, and have transformed my insides and outsides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment