Friday, May 3, 2013

Deep and True Changes

I went home at lunch and read.

I know, right? I don't make any goals, then I go and do something productive. Go me.

I'm really enjoying my yoga book, even though I'm barely into it. It's just...a good read. It's not written on some spiritual, esoteric plane I can't access, and I feel like at some points the author is speaking directly to me.

Which, you know, the best self-help is like that. Heh.

I came across a section today that just grabbed me so hard, I had to reread it at least three times.


Let's recap.

"The reason it is so difficult for us to change is that we focus too much on the microcosmic steps, or the "program", and not enough on changing the perspective that landed us where we are in the first place. Deep and true changes come from the inside out, not the other way around.  
We can try all different kinds of techniques to transform ourselves, but unless we address the underlying structure, we are just moving the pieces around. We haven't made any lasting changes just by saying affirmations, or going on a diet, or superficially altering our habits. We've addressed the symptoms without going to the root. 
Affirmations change the thoughts but not the thinker. Diets change the eating patterns but not the eater. Willpower holds the negative actions in check for a little while but does not ultimately change the doer. If you only change what you do, all you get are temporary alterations to your actions. Shift your inner viewpoint, though, and your world transforms."

WHAT HAVE I BEEN TALKING ABOUT ALL WEEK?

I've been talking about trying to inflict artificial and arbitrary changes on myself in attempt to become this new person. I've been talking about trying to force myself to change from the outside in. I've been talking about shoving myself into little boxes, compartmentalizing, fragmenting, trying to be something I'm not by parceling out my personality and attempting to put the pieces of it back together.

Geeze, Baron. Get right to a girl's core, why dontcha?

And this, too:

"The physical aspect of power yoga will transform your body---of that there is no doubt. And who doesn't want a more powerful and peaceful body? The real question is do you just want a more powerful and peaceful body, or do you want a more powerful and peaceful life?"

We all know what I want. I know where to find it.

I can't wait to get to the yoga studio.

1 comment:

  1. Taylor thank you for sharing that excerpt it was a very powerful read. I needed to read that! :) Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete