Thursday, April 11, 2013

Daily Diet Solutions

Months and months and months ago, back pre-meltdown, The Beck Diet Solution was recommended to me as a great book and tool for weight loss. Subtitled "Learn To Think Like A Thin Person!", the books is bright pink, and begins with instructing you to make flashcards.

So of course I immediately put it back on the shelf.

Mama don't make no flashcards. Or do homework of any kind.

I lent it to the Buff (who is a dietitian by the way if I have not mentioned this), and she wasn't a huge fan of it.  She thought it was "bossy, shaming and made [her] want to stress eat", so definitely not great for everyone.


Anyway, I've taken a few peeks at the book, but it just isn't something I feel the need to read all the way through and devote my energies to. There are tons of exercises and workbook things to do, but I'm doing so well on my own and well...I just don't want to. It seems more for people who are short-term dieting, as opposed to people with real food issues, but that's just me.

However, somehow I did stumble across this link, which takes you to the book's website with their "Daily Diet Solutions". Some of them are incredibly bullshitty, like this one:

"Sabotaging Thought: It’s okay to give in and have this one cookie. 
Response: One cookie won’t satisfy me, and if I have it, the ONLY thing it will do is cause me to have an even stronger craving for a second cookie. If I have one, I’ll want two. If I have two, I’ll want three. Don’t get started!"

Here are a few of the good ones:

"You're entitled to make mistakes, but you're not entitled to use one mistake as an excuse to keep making more. No matter how many or how few mistakes you  make this week, what matters most is what you do right after. Learning how to recover IMMEDIATELY from mistakes is a skill that will help you lose weight and keep it off for good." 
"Once you have positive momentum built up, it becomes so much easier to keep doing what you're doing. You'll be less likely to give in to unplanned eating because you'll be able to say to yourself, "I'm doing so well, it's not worth knocking myself off track." 
"If you think, "This craving is so uncomfortable, I'm just going to give in so I don't feel it anymore," remind yourself that while overcoming a craving is uncomfortable in the moment, giving in is uncomfortable for SO MUCH LONGER when you feel badly and guilty about it long after."

No comments:

Post a Comment