Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Humans of New York

Today, I'm going to share with you one of the few things that brightens my day no matter what.

"Humans of New York" is a project by photographer Brandon Stanton (who is super fucking cute, btw) that you can subscribe to via Facebook. Basically, he wanders the streets of NYC taking photographs of the city's most strange, beautiful, and colorful inhabitants. Every soul he photographs always seems to have some amazing story or beautiful wisdom to share---or sometimes just a hilarious comment or observation. His favorite subjects to photograph seem to be babies, beautiful girls and puppies (not that I'm complaining!), but in the last few weeks he's been documenting the devastation from Hurricane Sandy. In fact, he started a fundraiser through his Facebook page and has raised over $250,000. The deadline is approximately 10 hours from now, so you want to donate, go here.

Here are just a random few of my favorite images (seriously, I could just post all of them), but please oh please check out his site. I promise you won't regret it.

*"Mary is 93 years old. We spoke for less than two minutes. After I took her photo, she said: "If you force yourself to go outside, something wonderful always happens!" New life motto." 8/13/2011


*"Found these two old friends on the Upper West Side." 8/10/2011


*""I've been a widow for five years now. And I guess I'm worried that men look at me, and how I dress, and just don't 'get it.' My late husband 'got it,' of course. I'd love to meet someone, but I'm not going to change anything about myself to do it."" 7/26/12


*"In one of those moments that encapsulates an era, this Argentine man was captured by a New York photographer because his father was live-streaming his trip to Times Square." 10/9/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment