Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Hollywood Birthday

Last night I celebrated my birthday with my parents in our usual way: dinner and a show.

We dined at Katsuya in Hollywood, which is one of LA's trendiest sushi spots. I'm a big fan, though my favorite Japanese spot in town remains Sugarfish. Katsuya first introduced me to the joys of crispy rice with spicy tuna a few years ago, which I enjoyed along with a california roll topped with sauteed shrimp, mushrooms and asparagus and albacore, almond and eggplant in a miso glaze. Oh, and two watermelon cucumber mojitos, and a chocolate lava birthday cake dessert. NOM.


For our show, we saw the Catch Me If You Can musical at the Pantages theater, which I've mentioned before is my favorite venue. So beautiful! Catch Me If You Can holds the coveted title of being both a favorite book AND movie (others include The Virgin Suicides and The Princess Bride), so I was so stoked to see it on stage and it did not disappoint. The show is tons of fun, with catchy, retro songs, all the charm and wit of the film, and great sets and costumes. The lead actor was phenomenal, and the supporting cast all did a great job. If the tour comes through your town, I recommend you check it out!


I'm headed up to SB for the weekend so of course the birthday celebrating will continue for a few more days. I AM A BIRTHDAY WHORE. But last night was absolutely fantastic and I'm so grateful to my parents for always giving me awesome bdays. We were reminiscing last night about the various ways we've celebrated over the last few years, and I'm so lucky they put in the time and effort to do such fun things with me.

I guess they kinda like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment