Sunday, June 9, 2013

Things I Learned At The Grocery Store Today + A RECIPE!

Deep thoughts from Taylorville.
  1. Everything has soy. 
  2. And if doesn't have soy, it has sugar. A craving for breakfast sausage could not be sated by anything at Ralph's. Merde.
  3. It's expensive to eat healthy.
  4. But I already knew that, today just reaffirmed it.
  5. And in order to eat Whole30 you have to like...make everything.

So, I made lunch! A late lunch, but lunch. I used this recipe as inspiration and a starting point, but veered off slightly from the ingredients and instructions. I KNOW RIGHT?! I'm like...brave.

And it was delicious.

Here's my very first recipe for you all. If you try it, let me know what you think!

Turkey and Spinach Stuffed Sweet Potatoes


Ingredients

*4 sweet potatoes or yams
*1 pound ground turkey (I used Jennie-0 93% Lean)
*Bag of baby spinach
*2 tablespoons coconut oil
*1 cup red onion
*2 cloves garlic
*1 teaspoons onion powder
*1 teaspoons garlic powder
*Trader Joe's smoked sea salt
*salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Heat up your coconut oil on the stove on medium high heat.
2. Add the garlic and onions to the pan.
3. When the onions start to smell delicious, add the turkey and break it up with a wooden spoon.
4. Microwave your sweet potato according to these instructions. (Or do it in the oven according to these, if you have foil and time, which I didn't.)
5. Once the turkey starts to crumble and cook, add the onion powder, garlic powder and a generous amount of smoked sea salt.
6. When the meat is close to finished cooking, add the spinach, I did half the bag at a time.
7. Take the sweet potato out of the microwave, cut it open and mash up the insides, add meat, et voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment