Monday, December 31, 2012

NYE's Night

Some people go out and get schwasty on New Year's Eve, drench themselves in glitter, find someone to kiss or bang or fight, try to make some memories.

My preferred festivities, however, are a little more low-key. For the past few years I've done dinner and a movie with my parents, and honestly, I can't see that tradition changing anytime soon. I actually like my parents and have the best times with them. And I have no desire to ring in a new year with a bunch of sauced up strangers, everyone intent on making it the best night ever. Which it never is.

So, yes, I like New Year's, but only the symbolism of it. Not the reality.

We saw "Les Miserables", which was just as good as I expected it to be, no better and no worse. I think Russell Crowe is getting a bad rap, his singing was fine, and considering all the press Anne Hathaway is getting she wasn't actually on screen all that much. She was good, though, don't get me wrong. Of course Hugh Jackman is the shit. Then we dined at Arch Rock Fish, which was also as good as I expected it to be, maybe better if we consider the cocktail and the cornbread. Turns out lobster? Is super delicious. Who woulda thought?


After dinner we returned home to wine and a few competitive games of Scrabble, at which I stubbornly dominate at every damn time. What a bitch. Then we retired to the living room with a roaring fire, and more wine. By the way: have I mentioned to you that my parents' dog is a pyro? "Cause he is. Wherever he is in the house, he knows when someone is about to light the gas fireplace and he runs to the living room and freaks the fuck out. Hilarious.

New Year's Kiss!

Also by the way: Channel surfing during commercials of Dick Clark's extravaganza (no, his reanimated corpse is not hosting (too soon?)), noticed that two channels boast infomercials titled the following: "Best Sex Ever!" and "Best Pillow Ever!" Seems to cover all the bases, no?

We're nearing midnight now, and I'm not sure whether or not my parents are making it until then. But you know I am. I never miss an opportunity to commemorate some sort of special occasion. 

See you on the other side. I hope you all are having safe and splendid New Year's. 

1 comment: