Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Just Breathe

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale.

That's all that's on repeat in my brain, all day, every day. As I do my best to memorize the yoga sequence of a level one class, as I try my hardest to remember the cues that guide every movement, I just think of breath.

Inhale.


Exhale.

That's what will keep me steady, more than anything. In my practice, in my life. If I can just focus on my breath, the one constant I can control, I know everything would be easier. When I panic, when I worry. Just breathe.

But I get so distracted by the chatter. My mind won't shut up.

"Yogash chittah vritti nirodhah." Yoga is the cessation of the fluctuations of the mind, but mine is always on overdrive, unless I just focus on the breath. But that's just harder for me than I care to admit.  It's hard for me to let go, to stop thinking of the past or the future, to just be in the moment and breathe. I'm always thinking of me, myself, I, what I'm afraid of or proud of or looking forward to or avoiding. I let the breath fall away and let the brain take over. My "chittah vritti", my monkey mind, it's in control.

This is my new focus. This is what will center me both in yoga and in life. Focusing on the breathing, taking in positivity, pushing out negativity. Breathing in the good, out with the bad. This will bring me  the kind of peace I seek.


Inhale.

Exhale.

No comments:

Post a Comment