Wednesday, October 24, 2012

NaNoWriMoWha?

Here's something you might not know about me: I consider myself a writer.

I know, right? What a surprise! Considering I, you know, keep a blog and all, but mostly fill it with pictures of cats and shoes and shit. But yes, writing has always been the thing I say I do but I don't always do. You know?

I remember being rather prolific in middle school. I took a journal assignment for English class and turned it into twenty pages of fiction, I submitted a story for an assignment that ended up winning me $100 and a fancy lunch. "Young Writer's Of California", or something. SO fancy. And in college, I wrote a lot. Confession: I wrote fan fic. Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan fic, to be precise. And it was popular, okay? Thousands of words. Dorky, inappropriate ones.

Since then, I confess...I haven't done a whole lot of writing. Bits and pieces here and there, a long term project that hasn't even cracked 10,000 words, a few started-then-abandoned blogs. Nothing of substance. Nothing I would ever show to anyone.

Since starting this blog back in March, my writerly instincts have definitely awoken from their long long hibernation. Stuck their heads out of a cave like, "Hey world, what's up?" And then the instincts are all, "I'm feeling feisty today..." This paragraph went to a weird place.

Anyway.

I want to write more.

SO!

For the third or fourth time in my life, I am going to attempt NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month. The idea is this: Starting 12:00AM on November 1st, you start to write. And then you write. And write some more. The goal is to have 50,000 words by the end of the month. No editing, no deleting, just write write write.

In the past, I have always given up within a week or so. I lose my drive, my ideas seem stupid, I get behind and then overwhelmed. You know, much like life.

Hopefully this year goes a bit better for me. I'm brainstorming ideas now, but you're not allowed to write a single word until the month begins.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment