Monday, October 22, 2012

Cry me a riverrr.

I am becoming far more sensitive in my old age.

I mean, I've always been a delicate flower. Yell at me and I break down, it's just my natural reaction, which can be awkward at work let me tell you. I do tend to cry a LOT. Especially if there is any note of criticism in my father's voice---I am such a daddy's girl that way.

Anyway, that's not the sensitivity I'm talking about though. I mean specifically, I didn't used to cry at fictional situations. Movies, TV, books, I was an impenetrable fortress of emotion. NO TEARS. I remember "Pay It Forward" made me sob, and the fifth season finale of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" totally tore out my heart....basically, deaths only. Other than that, I have never been easily swayed by the machinations of writers or directors. You cannot tug at my heartstrings. I WILL NOT BE MOVED.

Recently, though, I find myself tearing up at, well...everything. A manipulative commercial. A terribly cheesy TV show. Musical movies. Blind kittens. Lonely old people. Disease. War. Broken hearts. Weddings. Spilled milk.

What is wrong with me?

*cries*

Maybe, as I approach that quarter century mark, I'm actually starting to give a shit about other people? Maybe I'm developing empathy, or sympathy, or whatever? MAYBE I'M NO LONGER A ROBOT?

I don't know.

But I really need to stop crying in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment