Friday, September 28, 2012

Carmageddon Part Two: Electric Boogaloo

If you're from LA, you know the tale of the dreaded 405 closure. Carmageddon.

Last year, or maybe the year before, I don't know and I'm too lazy to look it up, the city shut down the 405 Freeway for a weekend of construction. Warnings were given. Everyone was told to stay home. The news channels declared that our very own Armageddon was coming---there would be mass confusion in the streets, stranded drivers parked on side streets, staggering around with glazed eyes and bloody mouths...You get the picture.

So, I live right next to the 405. Four blocks from the entrance, on a pretty main street in LA. And when Carmageddon came...it was not bad. At all. Pretty much, everyone DID stay home. I walked the streets in my neighborhood and they were basically abandoned...some post apocalyptic shit.

Well, this weekend is Carmageddon Part Two: The Return of No Freeway Access. And my guess is, everyone will be complacent. Everyone will think, "Oh, last time wasn't so bad..." Lulled into a false sense of security. And that's what they want. THAT'S WHAT THE ZOMBIES WANT.

Oh wait, I've confused myself.

On my way to work this morning there really did seem to be a surplus of cars on the road. People fleeing the city? Rushing around for food and provisions in case the very structure of our society collapses? WHO KNOWS?

I plan to proceed with life as normal. If I end up trapped on Santa Monica Blvd, crying into my steering wheel frantically clawing at the windows screaming for heellllllp...I'll be sure to Tweet*.


*Do we capitalize tweet? Tweet? I'm such a virgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment