Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Centering My Chakras

Last week at teacher training we learned all about the chakras, and can I just say?

I'm so out of balance it's insane.


A brief overview for you: we each have seven chakras, or energy centers. They're located throughout the body, and each corresponds to an incredible variety of different emotions, physical ailments, spiritual strengths, etc. When a chakra is excessive, deficient, or just out of balance, you can experience problems in your life.

AND WE ALL KNOW I HAVE PROBLEMS.

I don't know if I fully believe in the chakras, and that they're the root of everything wrong with me, but hey, it's a good place to start, right? Maybe focusing on learning about them will begin to bring me some enlightenment.


The first chakra is the muladhara chakra, or the root chakra. It relates to survival, safety, security, and the "fight or flight" instinct. "I am" is the essence of the chakra. If you're excessive in this chakra, as I feel I am, you may be prone to over-eating, sluggishness, material fixation, excessive spending...yeah. I'm definitely unbalanced in this one lately. Someone who's balanced would feel grounded, secure...centered.

The second chakra is swadisthana, located at the sacrum. This chakra is the center of creativity, or creating in general, and specifically pro-creation. It relates to identity, sexuality, pleasure and contentment. I feel like I'm maybe slightly excessive in this chakra, over-emotional and over-indulgent, but perhaps slightly deficient, fearful of change. But in some ways, I'm balanced, I feel I embrace life's pleasures and I'm a passionate person. Of all the chakras, this is one of the ones I feel is the most in balance.

The third chakra, or the manipura chakra, is located at the solar plexus and deals with the sense of self: me, myself, and I. This chakra is fascinating to me because I am so deficient on the inside, but so balanced in how I present myself to the world. I'm insecure, have low self-esteem and self-confidence, blame myself for things, have poor self-discipline, so on and so forth...but I've been told, to everyone else, I appear cheerful, outgoing, relaxed, clear and confident. So I'm definitely interested to spend time focusing on this chakra.

The fourth chakra, the heart chakra, is my most open chakra. The anahata chakra is the heart chakra, and it holds our ability to love unconditionally. I really have no problem with that. I think I am mostly balanced, I hope I am caring and compassionate, and while I can sometimes be excessive (a pleaser, possessive) or deficient (anti-social, lonely), I think overall my heart is open.

The fifth chakra is the vishuddha chakra, or the throat chakra, which relates to speech and communication. I don't usually have a problem expressing myself, but I'm definitely excessive in this chakra because I talk too much, and too loudly, and I gossip. Whoops.

The sixth chakra is the ajna chakra, like my tattoo! Overall I am fairly balanced in this chakra, though I aim to be more in tune with it. I'm slightly excessive in that I allow myself to become obsessive, but overall I work to listen to my intuition and my heart, and be imaginative.

The seventh and final chakra is the crown chakra, or the sahasrara chakra. This chakra is the direct connection to the source of everything. If you're excessive, you're constantly living in your head, frustrated, over-intellectualizing things...mmhmm.

So yeah, basically, I'm alllll out of whack. Mediation is one of the best ways to balance out your chakras, so I am going to start trying to devote a little time each day to focusing on myself and my mind.

Starting.......now.

No comments:

Post a Comment