Monday, April 30, 2012

Musical Interlude

I couldn't sleep the other night.

It just happens, sometimes, as I'm sure it does to you. No rhyme or reason for it, and there's no cure. Just restless limbs, tossing and turning for hours, with a cat glaring at you from the foot of the bed as if to say, "Calm DOWN, woman, I'm dreaming of hummingbirds over here!"

I live next door to a 7th Day Adventist church. It was 4AM early Saturday morning, I was wide awake and staring at the ceiling, when I started to hear piano music wafting through my window. At first, I thought it was in my head, another symptom of my slow descent into insanity. But no, it grew a bit louder, and I peeked out my window, hoping to see.

I wanted to know who it was. I wanted to know why they were alone in a church so early in the morning, playing sad slow tunes that relaxed the coils of tension in my body. My brain, wide awake, spun its wheels and wondered. Did they have a fight with someone? Did they break in? What was their name? Were they as lonely as me?

They didn't play for long, unaware they had a captive audience.

And eventually I fell asleep again, still wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment